From the August 3, 1937 Page News and Courier
LURAY, Va. — Gomertown was located at our present thriving little village of Stony Man. This village, at one time, was Blosserville.
A few memories from the older residents:
The Burackers, Kiblers, Printzes and Sours were the principal residents of the Gomertown section.
Some of the finest farms in Page are located in the immediate vicinity, which are owned by the Varners, Spitlers, Lucases, Comers, Hershbergers, Prices and others.
The late Ed Campbell, a former blacksmith of that place, was also once a correspondent of the Page News and Courier.
The lot on which Mt Calvary’s Church stands is near Stony Man and was donated to the church by a man named Schwarback. It was then known as Gomertown Church.
The late Leonard S. Printz once said that his grandfather Somers, was a fiddler and an Elder in the Church and that the preachers would invariably stop with him.
Upon one occasion, the preacher prevailed upon him to take his fiddle to church to assist in the music.
He did so, but no sooner had he drawn his bow and struck the first note when an old sister of the church jumped up with quick paces made for the door, yelling and gesticulating wildly, saying, “That where the devil was, she would not stay.”
Harvests and corn husking in that section were considered real holidays.
Men and women would gather the grain and husk the corn.
At harvest, the laborers would rest for two hours at noon, and at four o’clock lunch would be nerved in the field.
The name Stony Man was chosen some years ago from the fact that it lies under the shadow of Sony Man peak. The Hawksbill Creek runs through this little village.
Antioch Church is located near the village.
The Lucas cannery is the one and only industry.
A community hall has been erected where many kinds of church meetings are held.



